Sunday, February 7, 2010

My first melt down

OK, I have had it. And I am sure I will have it some more. My first melt down about this trip across the US and up to Alaska. A new friend, who has taken this trip, suggested I write about us getting ready to go, our packing, unpacking, repacking, emotions etc. She said it will be interesting later looking back because you forget about these things.

We have been looking at our routes, figuring out how long we can stay here and there, trying to figure out where we want to go, what to take - can't take too much because of weight - but you need stuff, but what stuff. We are new at the camping thing and really it boils down to we don't know what to take or how much. We are trying to be prepared, but prepare for what. We know the basics. Water hose, sewer hose, chairs, water and electric surge protectors, blocks for leveling the RV, maps, atlas, GPS, air filters, oil filters, basic tools. But what else? I know we need stuff.

Since we have been snowed in by a record breaking snow storm (over two feet), and we will be leaving in about five weeks, I decided I would start to pack up some clothes. We will need clothes for three seasons. It will still be winter when we leave, spring will come soon especially since we will driving west, then summer in a blink of an eye. We can't take to much, but you need enough. Weight, weight, weight. Storage space. Weight, weight, weight. It's a big deal. You need shorts, need sweaters, short sleeved shirts, long sleeved shirts, pants, sweatshirts, jackets, socks, underwear. You need these things. Can't take much. But I need some of my stuff. I haven't been away from my home for more than two weeks ever. I need some of my stuff. No, I need to put some stuff back. But I need it.......... So my melt down happened in my closet as I was trying to pack and reduce. Man the tears were a flowing. It all hit me. Leaving my job, leaving my daughter, grandkids, my home. Wow! is it funny how packing underwear can bring it all on.

I decided to pack one more sweater and call it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment