Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I Bid Alaska Adieu

Alaska – how can I thank you for allowing me to spend some time with you. You did not disappoint. Your friendly people and hospitality, with a small town feel, well it makes me feel like I did many years ago when people cared for one another. You have a slower pace here. You feel life here instead of hurrying along just getting through the day. Taking time to talk and to help someone out is important business. Yes, like it used to be. Where common sense is more important than being politically correct. . Yes Alaska you are a wonderful place and your beauty is second to none. From your mountains, so rugged and tall, to the waters, abundant, clean and life sustaining. The glaciers, with a color so blue that it they appear to glow from within.They have a life of their own and speak to you, reminding us to take care of our world for our future depends on it.The vastness of your wilderness so vital to many magnificent creators. And the air, crisp and unpolluted.  You take the air for granted until you breath truly clean air and realize how good a deep breath can make you feel. Oh Alaska, you can capture a persons heart, injecting it with desire to return. I leave you Alaska, but I will not say good bye or farewell, I will bid myself adieu for someday I hope to return. But for now the memories of gold panning and summer solstice in Fairbanks, Anchorages’ dazzling flowers, the quirky town of Talkeetna, the Eagles of Homer, Sockeye Salmon fishing on the Kenai in Soldotna, the animals in Denali and the mighty Mt McKinley, standing tall above all others, the Pink Salmon and bear were so fun to watch in Valdez, and the athletes who climbed Mt Marathon in Seward will remain vivid in my minds eye until I am able to see you again. 

1 comment: