Thursday, August 5, 2010

Spider Bites, Cinnamon Buns, and Wild Fires

Tommy had our flat tire repaired in Whitehorse with a plug and a patch. We left the repaired tire as our spare. Stayed at Camp Walmart again in Whitehorse, but this time, Walmart only had a fraction or the travelers there compared to when we were going to Alaska. It was so full on the way up that the parking lot didn’t hardly have room for shoppers.

We met such a nice couple, Don and Sue, from Ontario. Sometimes you meet people and can’t find things to talk about and other times you just hit it off. We did. So many similarities between Sue and I. Geez I wish we lived closer to each other. Sue would be such a great girlfriend, you can tell. I can definitely see us keeping in contact. I gave her a lesson on setting up a blog, like Snookie did for me. Do we have a new blogger on our hands?

I woke up to a weird feeling around my eye. I thought I slept with my face squished into the pillow and thought I had deep pillow wrinkles on the side of my face. When I finally got around to look at my eye, I was shocked. A spider or something bit me. I didn’t think of taking a picture of it until 7:30 at night. See the red dot of the bite. image Looks better now than it did this morning.

We passed Johnsons Crossing and had to stop back in for a cinnamon bun like we did on the way up. Yum! image A few extra found their way into the freezer again.  image

Tommy and I were just discussing how lucky we have been with both vehicles, only one flat tire  and CRACK! A tractor trailer kicked up a rock and of course put a nice three armed crack in the passenger window.image  Tire yesterday, windshield today. Too bad it’s not the round chip that stays a chip. Oh no, this is one will run in 3 directions. We will see if we can get it repaired. If not, I can see a new windshield in my future.

We are hearing of terrible wild fires in British Columbia. The Cassiar Hwy, that we took up through BC from Seattle to Alaska, is now closed to all traffic and has been for a few days. We are going to take the Alcan Hwy down to Jasper and Lake Louise and just heard that road may be closing as well. There are only two roads you can take, the Cassiar or the Alcan, that’s it. We are 9 miles away from Watson Lake, where the Sign Post Forest is, the air is thick with the smell of smoke and you can see the darker smoke wafting in, covering the puffy white clouds and blue sky. image (look back up to the picture of the crack, look in the distance in the photo, see the smoke coming in) The sky now looks like a thunderstorm is coming but it is the smoke.image image Further down the road, just after 9pm with the sun sinking, the sky was a glow from all of the smoke in the air.image image  image image image That sky is high up on the wow factor scale.

1 comment:

  1. Goodbye Alaska. Its been great. Be careful of the wildfires. Sure hope the wildlife will be safe. Keep an eye on your eye and the windshield, in that order Boy.... those Bison are big suckers. B&J

    ReplyDelete