Thursday, May 13, 2010

Eureka, Agate, and Elk

We stumbled on to this town of Eurekaimage                                                     and what a find it was. This beautiful town is made up of Victorian homes that should be in story books and or movies.image             image         image    image       image          I couldn’t get over how many story book homes there     were, even the businesses are gorgeous. image

image        We continued on to Agate Beach where agate, a semiprecious gem stone, rolls in from the ocean. We were on a hunt. I love to walk on a beach looking for treasures whether it is shells, sand dollars, drift wood, and now Agate. image They were hard to find amongst all the rock. Agate are translucent, shiny stones that have a waxy feel. I brought all my “loot” (rocks) to a park ranger and I did in fact have several pieces.image One in particular he said was jewelry quality, the small amber colored piece to the far left. Beginners luck! As we head toward Oregon we drove the Drury Parkway, a scenic route, through Redwood National and State Park to see the Giant Redwoods. What we saw earlier in Muir Woods were Coastal Redwoods. These Giants are massive and, as the signs posted in the park said, outdate the dinosaurs and get 40% of their water from the fog. Yes from the FOG. How big are these Giant Redwoods? They are this big! image

We were even treated to two sightings of Elk.image Look how fuzzy their antlers are. image

image Not too bad for a “traveling day” , this was not a sight seeing day.

1 comment:

  1. What a Saturday matinee that was. So nice to catch up. Your time with erica must have been priceless. I'm trying to think What I like the best. The Sunsets, San Fran, maybe Eureka. I love those homes. I'm also glad Tom's daughter is doing so well. John would have liked to see Tom with the man-bag, and maybe blackmail him. Keep up the good camera work. I hope you can put all this on a tape or disc or what ever they use now a days. You could make money, selling tickets. I want a front row seat. see you soon on your next adventure.

    ReplyDelete