Monday, June 14, 2010

Fairbanks, Moose, and Beaver

We checked out the visitor center to get the low down on what to do and see around Fairbanks. Stopped at a few stores to find our lucky gold pans. I said to the store clerk, “we are tourists and we’ve come to strike it big. We want those magnetic type of pans please”. He looked at me like I had 3 heads. After I gave him a big smile, he smiled too knowing I was playing and I didn’t think they had “magnetic gold pans”.

We went to the University of Alaska museum and saw a bunch of “dead heads” (stuffed trophy animals)image  image and learned about the way of life here.image          image                                                                                                                                                                                    Makes you want to get in, curl up, & get comfy with a  good book, doesn’t it? LOL !                                                                                 We saw a display of gold that had examples of gold from what appeared to be sand, to fine gravel, to nuggets, to hunks of gold.image image Now I know what I will be looking for when we go panning. I would prefer the hunks but in reality it would be great if I could find a flake for each of the 5 grandkids.

We were able to ride a really big salmon at Pioneer Square. image

Coming “home” to the AFB we were lucky to see a mama moose and not one baby but TWO! image  nI told you yesterday that we saw plenty of tracks.

It still feels funny having a campfire in the broad daylight. This picture is was taken at about 10 pm. image Since we are camping right next to Bear Lakeimage I could hear the geese out on the lake and then I heard a big splash. Of course I had to check it out to see what it was. Beaver, a total of four of them. image image One kept taking his tail and flapping it on the water to make a big splash. image They would also come fairly close to the bank of the lake and make a growling grunting sound. Pretty cool to see. Oh, by the way these pictures were taken at 11:15 pm. The geese and the cute little babies were also out for a midnight swim.image

No comments:

Post a Comment