Sunday, June 6, 2010

Moose, Bear, and Jade

Ok we stopped to get a little gas this a.m. and it has been running $1.03 to $1.06 per liter, about $4.00 a gallon and today it was $1.28 a liter or $5.00 a gallon. OUCH! We bought only $100 worth (20 gal) and will look for another gas station at Deese Lake in about 90 miles. At least the views took the sting out of the gouging.  image

We did end up getting more gas for $1.23 liter but we hear up the road 150 miles it will be back to $1.09 liter.

We weren’t on the road but 20 minutes and what a treat we received. Two moose taking their morning bathimageimage and a hawk fishing.image                                                                                             Look in the upper left corner,  you will see him                                                            image And it’s only 9 o’clock in the morning! The air, so clean, crisp, and clear makes you say Ahhh after a deep breath. Driving along Gamma Creek will also make you say Ahh. image                                                                                           These mountains are huge. The tress under them are mature 60 to 70 foot trees.                         A few more bear came our wayimage and so did the narrow roads, repairs from slides, gravel/dirt roads,image and a few frost heaves. We needed to slow way down. But it is still exciting.

We stopped at Jade Cityimage at the Cassiar Mountain Jade store image to do a little looking and a little buying. Here they offer free coffee, hot chocolate, hot cider and they offer free camping on their property.  Did you know that 90% of the worlds Jade comes from British Columbia? I did not. I thought mostly China since I know the Chinese cherish their Jade. Well Robin Bunce mines Jade not far from his store.image Here they design, cut, polish, and sells what he mines. image His employees are so nice and knowledgeable. It was so fun to see them cut and polish slabs of this beautiful gem stone.image I asked Robin if he would look at what Tommy and I mined from the opal beds the other day and he was happy to. Looks like I have lava, geodes, and obsidian. Some of the obsidian he suggested I have cut into cabochons and have made into jewelry. We did not get opals but we did get something good. Yeah!  He was quite impressed with our loot! 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Tom and Tracy,
    My name is Bill G. I am the brother of Carol G, of Carol and Skip Fame. My wife Eileen, and I have been retired for four years now and after buying a motorhome our first year we have enjoyed this country in many of the same ways that you are right now. I have been on your blog (address supplied by Skip) for the past several days thoroughly enjoying your travels. When I read the post about you mining adventure, it occurred to me that you are rich in many ways beyond what you may have discovered that day. I know from our adventures, the feeling of pure exhilaration just from being on the road and experiencing the unbelievable diversity and beauty of this marvelous country.

    I want to thank you for the opportunity of sharing your adventures, and Eileen and I wish you the very best for the remainder of your trip. In 2008 we did the I40 corridor to Arizona then we headed North to Canada, covering 13 National Parks and more. It was wonderful reliving many of the same adventures through your blog.

    I have joined your followers list recently and attempted to leave a comment but was not able to for some reason. It may be that one of your settings is not allowing me to. The comment section is not highlighted and won't even let me click on it. I asked Skip if he has been able to, and he has experienced the same issue. Just thought you would like to know.
    I have been blogging our trips since 2007 and i would like to invite you to join us at billandeileenstravels.blogspot.com
    Be safe out there and enjoy your adventures. Life is Truly Good!
    Bill and Eileen G

    ReplyDelete