Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Jerome, AZ Copper Mining Town

Jerome, AZ once known as the wickedest town it the West, is an old copper mining town built way atop Cleopatra Hill otherwise known in my book as a big damn mountain. image

image There were “Cat” houses,image

Yes Tommy is at the House of Joy

image

image

churches, and all types of people that made this town flourish to a peak of 15,000 in the 1920’s. When the copper ran out so did the people. There were only 50 residents in the 1950’s. Now it is an artsy culture and Jerome is back.

Underground mining was phased out after fires erupted in the 88 miles of tunnels under the town. Mining with dynamite made the buildings crack and the surface started to shift and sections slid.image The jail slid 225 feet and part of the structure still hangs on today. image

We ate at the Mile High restaurant (the towns elevation is 5200 ft) image

Love that ceiling fan

and shared a 3/4 lb hamburger that was filled with a stuffed pepper shooter. Yum! We checked out the town shopsimage image and even found the ghost town.image

image On the way back from Jerome we had to stop back in Sedona to see the cactus I photographed two days ago. I wanted to see if the flower was still there and if it was true that the flower only lasted one day. As you can see it is true. image What a shame that such a beautiful flower only lasts one day. Wow were we lucky to see it. The photo of the bloom is now my screen saver. (I’ll show it to you again)image

I have heard of this Catholic church built between two wedges of red rock. The Chapel of the Holy Cross is a sight for sore eyes. So simple in design yet so powerful. image

image image On the move tomorrow. For as long as I can remember I have always wanted to see the Grand Canyon, Alaska, and Yellowstone. Of all of the places in the world, those are the three I would always say. Well tomorrow we are on the way to the Grand Canyon. I can’t believe I am going to get to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment