Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Deep Creek and A Big Dinner

After we left Homer, and I dried my eyes, we arrived at Deep Creek to stay there for the night. On the way we saw a beautiful, really green, meadow with a walking path to better see Mt Iliamna, a volcano, but our view wasn’t bad. image  Where we stayed we were directly on Cook Inlet and had great views of Mt Redoubt, one of 5 volcanoes in the area.image   A closer view of the volcano for you.image image  Walking on Deep Creek Beach were were able to watch the tides come in. At first we saw all of these sandbars. image Amazing how quickly they disappeared. We were on the hunt for Love Rocks, heart shaped stones. So many that were almost hearts, some fooled us and looked like a hearts until we picked them up and then they looked like a kidney bean. We found a good amount.image  In Homer, one shop had them for sale for $28! People will buy anything. I will keep some to remind me of how much I love it here.

We did not see any marinas here like we did in Homer or Seward. Here they have tractors that will hull your boat down to the water, back you in, and you take off. When you are finished for the day, you radio in and the tractor will meet you in the water.image image image image You better know what you are doing when you drive your boat up on the trailer. With the winds and strong current, you won’t get too many tries before you hit a sandbar. I have never seen an operation like this before and I have been around boats for quite a long time now. Interesting to watch.

We grilled up the salmon that the fisherman gave me yesterday. We had pea salad, steamed buttered broccoli, and a side tossed salad with the salmon.image               Oh was it so good. Fresh salmon is different than any salmon I have tasted before. I now know why people come here, from around the world, for salmon fishing. I can see a fishing pole in my hands again in the near future.

We are starting to see some sunsets now and have a couple of hours of darkness. This picture was taken at midnight.image   Nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment