Friday, July 9, 2010

Rain Rain, Go Away, This Isn’t Washington State

Rain, rain, go away, this isn’t Washington State and we aren’t in the rain forest! Yes unfortunately we have come to Homer during a long rainy streak. I won’t leave here until I get good sunny daytime pictures so you can see how beautiful it is. It became sunny last night at about 9:30 pm and was sunny for about 2 hours this morning so I tried to get a few shots before the clouds moved in. When it’s cloudy, it’s gray.  I will keep trying since I only have a few.image image The sun tricked me because I thought we had a great day of sun ahead of us and poof clouds. We drove up into the main part of Homer and then drove deep into the back country along the Kachemak Bay. Glaciers were glowing, image flowers were blooming,image  image pheasants were strutting,image and a young moose came out to say Hello.image image We even found an igloo. image This is really some ones home. This Aleutian Mountain range is so beautiful to me. They are jagged, spiky, with glaciers, have a neat snow line, and at sunset (12:30am) they are rosey with all the pink clouds. image image    We had a campfire last night when the rain let up and after a great dinner of fresh Halibut/mango tacos. image            Look at these giant marshmallows compared to normal ones– one will do ya and 2 will do ya in.image     Ok I have found a new hobby. I am loving filleting fish. Well actually it all started when some guy we were talking to said he will ask people for their fish carcasses when they were done filleting the fish. Some people will leave a lot of meat on the carcass and he would clean it off for fish tacos. I thought …Great Idea! And I started. image    Then I started to get good at it.image      I cleaned enough for dinner and had plenty for the freezer. image                So I decided to do it again today. I had such a good time shooting the breeze with people, getting slivers to chunks of Halibut meat from the carcasses. I now have about 20 lbs in the freezer. Who needs to go fishing when Mama can go catching! I need a job on a boat as a mate so I can clean the fish. I’m pretty good at it. Move over boys, Tracy is moving in.image

Another Eagle came today. This one was massive. He didn’t stay like the other two. He came, got his dinner,  image    and was outta here.  image Gorgeous!.

No comments:

Post a Comment