Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Eagle Has Landed

Wow, Wow, and double Wow. I cannot believe what I am seeing and how close I am to seeing it. Never could I imagine being this close to a wild Bald Eagle. We are in Homer, Alaska, the Halibut capital of the world. People catch fish here and lots of it. So the municipality has these waste receptacles just for the fish remains. This makes for easy dinning for the gulls and Eagles. When the Eagles come, the seagulls fly away quickly. They know who is boss. image At first we were watching the eagles from a distance.image image  image Then we started to ease closer and closer to where I could rest my arm on the dumpster for balance. I was so close that I could literally reach out and pet her, but of course I had enough sense not to. I could have lost a finger in a heart beat.image The eagle was ripping the flesh from the fish carcasses and cracking bones with it’s mighty bill.image There were 2 eagles hanging out at this fish dump. One with a bright white head and tail is a mature adult. The other, a teenager, wasn’t bright white but a dirty white, turning to white. I believe that this is mother and child because I have seen these eagles since together on top of light posts and other structures. image The details in the face and feathers! image image After eating, she hopped down for a drink. image image      image        image

This was a marvelous thrill for me. I hope to see them tomorrow and the next day and the next.

Ok my eyes were bleeding from the Eagles magnificence, now it’s your turn. Sorry to hurt you this way but here goes. This is the view coming into Homer. image image image You crest this hill and Bam!…you are hit with this. Hurts Huh? I am sorry for the pain I had to cause you today but with luck there will be more suffering tomorrow. I will go back for more pictures when it is sunny.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy following your Alaska Trip. We leave for Alaska July 27 for 2 months. Hope we see and enjoy as much as you have
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you know what I meant when I said Alaska has to be the next best place to Heaven. I loved it up there and each time I went, I saw something more beautiful and breathtaking. Your pictures have captured the beauty.

    ReplyDelete