Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Saying So Long To Homer

With tears in my eyes I am saying good bye to Homer. So many mixed feelings passing through my heart. Leaving Homer marks a point for us that from this point on we are working our way out of Alaska. Please understand that I am so joyful for being able to have come and spend this much time here in Alaska but leaving the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska’s playground, is awfully hard for me. I have fallen in love with Alaska, as I knew I would. I feel so at peace and at home here. The water, mountains, wildlife, the rugged way of life, and of course the cooler temperatures. It’s for me. I have a rugged side of me, a Tomboy if you will, with feminine side. Let me bait a crab trap or gut a fish but I have a mushy gushy heart and I need my makeup and shower gels thank you. This place makes me feel like I did when I was young, safe and secure. Common sense reins here. It holds a slower pace where neighbors help one another, people have enough time to stop and talk for a minute. They know right from wrong and do what is right.  So, it is now time to move on to see what is around the next corner and over the next hill. Thank you Homer for a wonderful 8 days and I sure do hope our paths can cross again one day.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my. I have tears in my eyes after I read this. I lived in Alaska for 9 years and I've never heard (or read) anyone that sums up my feelings about 'home' quite as well as this. It's such an easy place to fall in love with and an even harder place to leave

    ReplyDelete